When you have assets, it makes financial sense to reduce your risk, so they can be replaced in the event of loss, damage or destruction.

We provide cover for:

1. The structure of your building and all permanent fixtures and fittings


A comprehensive homeowner’s insurance policy will cover your home for structural damage, fire damage, storm damage and bursting geysers. The policy also includes South African Special Risks Insurance (Sasria) cover, plus limited subsidence and landslip cover. Your property must be fully insured while you have a bond agreement.

2. Contents of your home


We can arrange budget-friendly insurance for you, with low fixed excesses, to cover the possessions within your home belonging to you and members of your household who live with you. These include furniture, clothing, electronic equipment, rugs, curtains, mirrors, gardening tools and computer equipment. Your policy may also include automatic ATM assault cover, 24-hour emergency assistance and other value-added benefits.

Your policy covers your home contents in events such as:

  • Loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft
  • A fire or explosion
  • Acts of nature (earthquake, wind, storm, lightning, snow or flood)
  • An impact from vehicles, falling trees, aircraft, etc.
  • Damage caused by bursting or overflowing geysers or pipes
  • Liability to other people (including domestic employees)

3. Vehicles (cars, motorbikes, bicycles, caravans, trailers and more)


Vehicle insurance reduces the financial burden of having to repair or replace a vehicle if it is damaged, destroyed or stolen. When you insure a vehicle, you enjoy peace of mind knowing that your risk is covered.

Repairing or replacing a vehicle can be costly. If it is involved in an accident, you may also be required to pay for the damages caused to other people’s property. A vehicle insurance policy mitigates risk and can financially save you, should you be in a situation where you are liable for costs and damages.

Types of cover

  • This covers your vehicle for accidental damage, fire, theft and hijack, as well injury to people and damage to their property. It also includes personal liability insurance.
  • Third Party, Fire and Theft. Your vehicle is covered for damage caused by fire, theft and hijack, as well as accidental damage caused by you to a third party’s property such as their car, wall and gate. Accidental damage to your vehicle is not covered.
  • Third Party. This covers accidental damage caused by you to a third party’s property, including their car, wall and gate. Accidental damage to your vehicle is not covered. This is better value for older, lower value cars.

Policy value-adds

Our policies may include access to assistance services for 24/7 professional help with roadside, medical or household emergencies.

Other cover options

For your convenience, a range of other insurance options can be included with your policy. Some of these are:

  • To cover the cost of a replacement vehicle while your car is being repaired.
  • Cover for non-factory fitted sound equipment.
  • Extended personal liability cover – so you can extend the standard R2.5 million liability cover to R5 or R10 million.
  • Accessories cover – for accessories such as tow bars, alloy wheels and body kits.

4. Specified, high-value items


Items that belong to you or your immediate family members that are often taken out of the home and would cost R1 500 or more to replace need to be individually specified to be covered in your insurance policy. These may include cameras, laptops, mobile devices, jewellery, navigational devices including GPS units, golf clubs, fishing gear.

Enjoy a premium that suits your pocket

We shop around and leverage our relationships with short term underwriters to get you a competitive premium for the level of cover you want. As asset values change over time, we also remind you to revise the values from time to time to ensure your assets are always insured at their replacement value.

Claims – no hassle!

If you need to claim, we take the hassle out of the process. You notify us, and we advise and assist you. This includes liaising with the underwriter on your behalf until the claim is processed and you receive the relevant compensation.

For advice, more information or a free quote, contact us now!